LiMux - The IT-Evolution
free software in Munich
What is LiMux?
* The main target of the LiMux project is to complete the City Council's order to run open source software on the administration's desktops in the future - "LiMux Basisclient"
* First worldwide certificated linuxbased work station - Made for feel good
* Free software for the operating system and office software
LiMux Basisclient based on Linux and free software:
Debian GNU/Linux „sarge“ (Distribution), K Desktop Environment - KDE (Graphical user interface), OpenOffice.org (Offices), Firefox (Browser), Thunderbird (E-Mail), Gimp (Image editing)
* Applications will be developed platform independent, preference webbased
Status quo of the LiMux project Mai 2009:
* 100% work stations using Firefox and Thunderbird
* 12.000 work stations using OpenOffice.org
* 1.800 work stations migrated to LiMux
* all other units of the City Council start the migration to Linux in 2009